Dating sites that work uk london
By the 16th century the manor house had become a substantial palace, used as the main summer home of the archbishops and visited by monarchs and other dignitaries.The original palace was sold in 1781, by then dilapidated and surrounded by slums and stagnant ponds, and a new residence, at nearby Addington, purchased in its place.A charter issued by King Coenwulf of Mercia refers to a council that had taken place close to the monasterium (meaning minster) of Croydon.An Anglo-Saxon will made in about 960 is witnessed by Elfsies, priest of Croydon; and the church is also mentioned in Domesday Book.Many of the buildings of the original Croydon Palace survive, and are in use today as Old Palace School.The Parish Church (now Croydon Minster) is a Perpendicular-style church, which was remodelled in 1849 but destroyed in a great fire in 1867, following which only the tower, south porch, and outer walls remained.East Croydon is a major hub of the national railway transport system, with frequent fast services to central London, Brighton and the south coast.
The market place was laid out on the higher ground to the east of the manor house in the triangle now bounded by High Street, Surrey Street and Crown Hill.
A new church was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, one of the greatest architects of the Victorian age, and opened in 1870.
His design loosely followed the previous layout, with knapped flint facing and many of the original features, including several important tombs.
In the mid 20th century these sectors were replaced by retailing and the service economy, brought about by massive redevelopment which saw the rise of office blocks and the Whitgift Centre, the largest shopping centre in London until 2008.
Croydon was amalgamated into Greater London in 1965.